Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I'm not really a seamstress

In my head, I mainly sew clothes. Almost all my thinking and planning about sewing is about which garment, with which pattern and what adjustments, in which fabric, and do I have shoes to match? What needs adding to my wardrobe next? What techniques am I confident in and how do I want to experiment? And, not unimportantly, will I find time to carry all this off before the season changes (again! Doesn't time fly.)

Well, the answer to that last question is usually - no. A resounding No, in fact. Because while my head is plotting lists of beautiful homemade garments, my hands have other plans and are just busily getting on with them.


You see, my hands like things like this. Little, cute, fun, projects, easy to both plan and execute successfully (not quite at that stage with my own clothing yet...).


Small lovely things such as, to take one example, snugglers for freshly born babies.


I may have mentioned that my friends are having their very own 2011 baby boom. And frankly, when faced with the choice between pattern tracing, adjusting, cutting, sewing, trying, unpicking, sewing again, all the while sweating and swearing, or choosing some lovely polka dots and fluffy light soft fleece and then whipping up a swaddling blanket. Well!


When it comes down to it, my head agrees with my hands.


While they were at it, they decided it would be a good idea to whip up a pacifier clip too. Because, let's face it, altogether this makes rather a nice little bundle, doesn't it?


Yes, friends, feel free to have as many babies as you like. I love making this stuff.

Plenty of time left to make next summer's wardrobe, after all. (Yeah, like that's actually going to happen).

No comments: