Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thanks Mum

For this lot!

(And the upbringing etc too, of course).


Which is the result of a recent raid on her box of patterns, just sitting there unused since somewhere in the mid-1980s. It was a bit of a trip down memory lane - I remembered several of the children's patterns from clothes she made for us, as well as a few of the women's ones that she made for herself. Mostly, though, it was just rather amusing to see how dated the designs are. If I was an American I would no doubt call them vintage - but I'm a Brit with frugal tendencies, and I just gawped open-mouthed at how shockingly cheap they were compared to today (yes yes I do know about inflation, but still).


Despite the ageing process, and due in no small part to the abovementioned frugal tendencies, I decided that quite a few of these clothes are still make-able.

First the adult ones, for me. (I left behind a man's suit pattern - G just about puts up with all the sewing so far, but I doubt very much that he's ever going to wear homemade clothes to the office. Even if I tell him that tecnically it's "bespoke").

This one was a find - I had been looking for a dress pattern with a curved/shaped bodice just like it:


This next one is basically the same shape as a much-loved but much-outgrown dress that I cut up to make a skirt for L. Serendipitously, however, it's a size or two bigger (none of the patterns are multi-sized). So when I feel ready to tackle collars, I'll have a go at replacing it.


This I mostly just love for the shape of the trousers, which I am unlikely to ever make. Might have a go at the skirt though. And what about those red shoes?! Such fabulous styling.


Now on to the kids' stuff. It's a fab little collection:


L immediately pulled this one out and has made it very clear that she wants the long version:


She's a tall age 4 so I'd best get cracking! Not sure I can bring myself to go floor length though - but would that be better or worse than the tantrum when she realises she's not going to get it? Hmm.

Then, if L will still concede to wear things I make her when she's 10, I quite like the cap sleeved model of this dress:


I'm not sure I'll ever make any of these next ones, but I just really like the sailor tops with elastic around the bottom. Some possible boy options there too, with the shorts/trousers.


I wonder how he cut his knee? Plus, I had that haircut too!


This one on the left is sized 12 months and might well get used to make first-birthday bloomer suits for various babies next summer. I'm thinking the robe on the right will make an appearance for L next Christmas (it's for age 6).


For now though, the one that really grabbed my attention was this:


More specifically, this:


Hand-embroidered options also available:


Um, no thanks. And I won't be patchworking any fabric either, tempting though that particular 'serving suggestion' is.

No, I used denim:


It has a zip, and a snap fastener instead of a hook and eye (because I hate them):


I also used snaps instead of buttons on the front, because I didn't want to risk messing up a finished garment with a bodged button hole.


Just for the novelty, I finished the seams with bias tape. Looks nice, wasn't much more fiddly than the other options, but did add a little bulk (this only really mattered though because the hem is massive - almost double the depth you see on the finished skirt, to allow for letting down later). All told, I'm neutral - might do it again, might not.


And this time I remembered my label.

No, I didn't change the thread. I couldn't be bothered. 

No comments: